Monday, May 7, 2012

Cheater's "homemade" mashed potatoes: v.1

I love mashed potatoes, yet I typically use Potato Buds when I make them. Blasphemy, right?

Obviously, they're not the same as truly homemade mashed potatoes, but that doesn't mean they have to be boring. One of the things I like best about potatoes is that it's a blank slate: you can put pretty much any combination of spices on there and it'll taste great. Tonight's edition of "cheater's homemade potatoes" is seasoned to match the pretzel-crusted chicken I made earlier.

Here's what you need:


Potato Buds (use enough for the 3-4 servings measurement)
1/2 tsp Parmesan or Romano cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp white pepper (can use less if desired, especially if you don't like spicy)

After you add the potato buds to the liquid, add all the spices seen above and whisk. And there you have it:






(OK, it doesn't look like much, but trust me...)

The cheese adds just the right amount of nuttiness and saltiness without it being...well...cheesy. The garlic powder gives it body while the pepper gives it a nice kick. I may or may not have eaten have the pan.

I'll be adding more spice variations as I post more meals. The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment